Thursday 7 October 2010

Music Mag Intro

This is the first blog of my magazne coursework project. Over the course of this blog, I will show you how I've been building up ideas for my music magazine.

I am particularly interested in the Urban scene. In other words, Hip-Hop, Rap & R&B. Some particular artists that have an influence to me are Chamillionaire, Lupe Fiasco, J. Cole, Bun B, Eminem, B.o.B. and other artists who feel strongly about their lyrics. I'm also influenced by a lot of R&B & UK artists such as Trey Songz, Jay Sean, Tinie Tempah, Devlin and Labrinth.

The most natural choice of magazine for me to study is obviously the Hip-Hop scene. This is an obvious choice because I take most interest in this particular music genre.

My particular magazine (unknown title as of yet) is a magazine for Hip-Hop & R&B fans. Most likely, ages 16+. There'll most likely be lyrical content and such which are not suitable for younger people which is why this magazine is more suitable for adults. Also, those who are particularly interested in music in general will also enjoy this magazine.

The top two magazines that are out today are Kerrang! & NME. The negative point to this is that my magazine doesn't consist of these particular genres. In other words - the top two magazines don't include any form of Hip-Hop music to it which is why I am creating a magazine based on the Hip-Hop industry to reach to the top of the rankings alongside Kerrang! & NME. The total number of people who read Kerrang! per month are a massive 421,000 people. This is an astonishing number which has also given me motivation to create, hopefully, a very successful magazine. NME also have a large number of followers reading the magazine. The numbers total up to a massive 325,000. The aim of my magazine is to reach up to these numbers and push the Hip-Hop genre out there as it has not been recognised enough yet.

A couple of magazine websites for my particular genre include: www.vibemagazine.com, www.rap-up.com, www.hiphopdx.com, www.rapgodfathers.com and more. There are also general music sites such as www.spotify.com & www.myspace.com, where music can be heard for free. This is a good way to get promoted and to get some exposure in the music industry.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent introduction. Authoritative and very clear on what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete